Hi, welcome to site which is used to share my thoughts, artworks, rants, software and other random bits from my brain. It’s kind of a project repository, most of them are only half finished, in perpetual change, or they are just concepts because some other idea grabs my attention (this page is also one of those whims). I like to watch anime, play games, tinker with hardware, draw (more with software, less on paper), make 3d models and program. I was born in 1985, so im one of that generation of people emulating computer/video game graphics from their childhood. Articles are added and randomly edited for new content.
You can reach me by email or on twitter. Text below is in image format and cannot be copied to clipboard as text data. It is a security measure against robots (cant they use OCR?).
Site was hosted on Raspberry Pi 2 (hostname devilBBS) using Raspbian operating system, Duck DNS was used to point dynamic ip to this domain. It’s a good feeling to have your own webserver blinking near you (and a interesting experience setting it up).
UPDATE: moved to vps server running debian. First version was hand written (html,css,js), but editing and adding new articles was a chore, now site is generated with Jekyll and articles are written in mardown, life is so much easier.
Page graphics are made using 9-bit color palette, which yields maximum of 512 unique colors. This color palette was used by MSX2, Atari ST, TurboGrafx-16 or Sega Genesis, page bitmaps are scaled 2x (first tried to increase scale with CSS, but sharp pixels are not supported in every browser). Update of new content is sent to server via rsync.
Im using various programs to do stuff
- Cosmigo Pro Motion 6.5 most advanced package for pixel art, newest version is Pro Motion NG
- Aseprite easy to use, using it for concepts or quick pixel doodles
- Pyxel Edit still in beta, good for tilemaps
- Clip Studio Paint favorite drawing program, has brush stabilisation unlike photoshop and is freaking fast
- Blender i switched to blender from maya, it was hard to begin with, but this software has almost everything compared to other commercial 3d packages
- Affinity Designer for vector and simple bitmap work, this is an great alternative to illustrator - not as robust, but much more faster and responsive with clever workflow
- Adobe CC using it only at work, because their formats are the standard now, but overall it is an shitstorm of bugs. adobe is nazi empire of graphics software.
- Love2D programming is done in Lua, framework is clean and fun to use
- Game Maker this was the first engine i used for game creation
- LibGDX perfect framework, it runs on Java (and that is a dealbreaker for many people, but Java is great piece of technology - platform independent virtual machine) - but there are workarounds for distribution
- Godot free/open source alternative to unity
- Unity used it little for prototypes
Other essential software
- Notepad++ versatile text/code editor, customizable - make .bat file with command to run code
- Brackets has live preview in browser, code completion
- Atom for now my favorite text editor for makrdown and code, has plugins for copying images from clipboard to markdown - saves time
This list needs to be reworked to table with descriptions, with its own article maybe. Current favorite games.
- Nier: Automata
- Persona and Shin Megami Tensei series
- Hyperdimension Neptunia
- Pinball Arcade
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Stein’s Gate
My earliest gaming memories are from seeing big arcade machines in shopping malls, holiday resorts or in fun-parks and begging my parents/grandparents for change. Before going to school, i got for christmas Atari 2600 clone called Rambo, later famiclone Pegasus, with built in games (800-in-1, actualy circa 20 repeating games and hacks). It was common in Czechoslovakia (shortly after the fall of communism) to get unauthorised hardware in stores like K-Mart. Back then i used only 2 original NES cartridges - one was mine (Donkey Kong), other was friends (Super Mario Bros 3). Once he had borrowed 8-bit computer Didaktik Gama, it was a ZX Spectrum clone, i was fascinated by loading of programs from audio tapes. At age 10 my father bought used PC 386dx, with turbo switch to 40mhz. Since then, im literally glued to computers.
- Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd + 4 tb hdd, ati radeon rx550 4gb, 27’ asus pb278qr 100% sRgb monitor, running Solus (linux distro)
- MacBook Air 13, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd, 128gb sd card, 3tb and 1tb external drives, i-tec metal docking station, 23’ hp monitor
- Secondary PC older machine with Core2Duo, 4gb ram, 500gb hardrive, Canon scanner
- Wacom Intuos4 medium size
- Amiga 500 plastic is yellow, need to clean it somehow and find more software, but it is in really good working condition
- Raspberry Pi 2 hooked to 8 inch crt monitor (RPI has composite video output), great for looking at pixel art
- Raspberry Pi 3
- Nintendo Wii (RVL-001, compatible with Game Cube)
- Nintendo DS lite
- New Nintendo 3DS XL
- Original GameBoy 2pcs
- GameBoy Advance SP 2pcs
- Sony PlayStation 2
- Sony PlayStation 2 Slim
- Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
- Sony PlayStation Vita
- Desktop PC with Core i5, GTX 660, 128gb ssd disk for system, 750 gb disk for projects, 2 tb disk for steam library and backup, 16 gigs of ram and usb floppy drive. Running Windows 10 and various virtual machines.